Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Life as a student at BLCU


Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU)

For those of you who don't know, I am studying Mandarin at BLCU in Beijing for one semester (20 week program). My studies started late February and run until early July. I am a very beginner class and with students from 15 other countries. In a class of 20, you become very familiar with your fellow classmates whether you like it or not. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why others are studying Chinese. Some are in the same situation as me; they have graduated from post-secondary studies and are in between phases of their lives. Others are learning Chinese because they are interested in studying or working in China down the road, and some of my classmates thought it would be a great adventure to spend 6 months abroad. Whatever their reason for being here, I am glad others are joining me on this quest for learning the 'hardest' language in the world. 


This is the main building at the South Gate of the BLCU campus. My classes are held in this building on the 5th floor. Line-ups for the elevator are never-ending in the mornings, so I take the stairs. It is a nice walk to wake me up, minus the pollution in the air.
The picture to the right is the Athletics building (I don't know the real name). This is where the gym, swimming pool, outdoor track and courts for badminton, volleyball and ping pong are available.

There are people using the outdoor track at all hours of the day. In the mornings, it is mainly the elderly walking the track. T'ai chi is also practiced in front of the main doors. When the weather warms up, I am told that I will see students practicing Kung Fu outdoors as well.
The most popular sport on campus is definitely basketball. There are several courts spread throughout the campus. Those playing basketball are predominantly male, and in fact, I don't think I have seen one female playing basketball yet. Maybe I will have to bring out my kicks and shoot some hoops - funny.





I also found it interesting to find military propaganda on the information boards on campus.











My Studies

My learning material for the semester. 

As for my learning, I am in class from 8am until noon, Monday-Friday. Throughout the week I have classes in listening, speaking, writing and practical Chinese. My greatest challenge is writing and recognizing Chinese characters. Each day there are 10-15 new characters to learn and memorize. If I am dedicated enough, they say I should be able to learn 100-150 characters in one month.. YIKES! I better start making flash cards and putting post-it notes all over my apartment to speed up the learning process.

So far, I am enjoying my time here. I have made several friends and have met some very interesting people. I hope I can pick up more of the language soon so I feel more confident in my ability to haggle with the street vendors.

No comments:

Post a Comment