Monday, February 27, 2012

Ni Hao from Beijing!

Arriving & Settling In

I MADE IT! After 24 hours of travel, I landed in Beijing! I had 2 hours of delays and no lost luggage, which is pretty amazing. I think I handled my jet leg reasonably well. At first I was getting up at ridiculous hours (5am) but I am now on a schedule and I am settling into a routine. 
My accommodations were arranged before leaving Canada, so that alleviated a lot of stress. I landed, dropped my things off at my apartment, ate some delicious huǒ guō (hot pot) and slept for 10 hours! 
I have a pretty good setup. I am a 15 minute walk from the university, which is super handy. Some of my classmates travel 2 hours to get to class (we start at 8am). 
My bachelor pad.

The kitchen. 
As you can see, the kitchen doesn't have a stove/oven. I do, however, have a single burner. I have only used it once and it was an epic fail. It heats up to a ridiculous temperature and because all the buttons are in Chinese characters, it is a trial and error learning process. Good thing it is so cheap to eat here. 
My beautiful view..
On a sad note, I don't be baking any time soon - that I do miss! 









To personalize the apartment, I bought 3 fish :)
Meet Huanhuan, Lele and Steven! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kayla! Looks like you are going to have quite the adventure! Hope you have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete