Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Domestic Duties

I never thought that I would blog about doing laundry, but I wanted to give you an idea of my daily living experiences here in China. I am fortunate to have a washing machine in my apartment, but unfortunately, I have no clue how to operate it.

 I brought minimal clothing with me in hopes of doing a little shopping. After a week, I was in desperate need to doing some laundry.

It doesn't look too scary... from afar.

After I realized there was no English translation, I resorted to using my phone to translate the characters. Sadly, I can't draw to save my life and the only character I could draw accurately enough to find a meaning for was 'small', which I concluded meant the size of the load.




From here, I resorted to my logic. A red circle must mean one of two things, power or start. Sure enough, nothing happened when I pushed it, so I decided it had to be the start button. I later learned, after plugging the machine in, that the lone button in the top right corner was the power button.
The washing machine drains into the shower drain in the bathroom..
After a slight panic attack because I thought my bathroom was flooding, and a little confusion, I successfully completed a load of laundry in China! I am now confident in my ability to do my own laundry in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment