Monday, March 19, 2012

Update - 1 month

Hi All,

I've been in Beijing for a solid month now and I thought I would update anyone who is interested in following along. I think monthly reflections on my time in China will give you an update and allow me to track my progression.

I am going onto week 4 of classes and I feel like I have learned a lot and nothing at all - how is this possible? I've learned that there is an enormous learning curve when it comes to this language. Everyday I am learning new vocabulary, which is great, but at the same time a bit overwhelming. I will be the first to admit that I haven't been the most studious since I have arrived. This realization that I won't just 'pick up' Chinese just hit me last week. So, in an actual attempt to learn Chinese, I will have to put forth more effort. No more falling asleep while studying and drooling on my pages. So, goal number one: study hanzi (characters) for 2 hours a day outside of class. I think Mary McKenna would be proud of my SMART goal. It is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. *Nerd alert for remembering this acronym!* After a plethora of classes on 'wellness' one would think that my goal setting skills would be well developed. Apparently I need to make it a goal to set more short-term goals.


Apart from my studies, I am having a great time exploring the sites, meeting new people and trying new things. I have met some amazing people so far and I am loving it! I am still not used to the pollution and I haven't stopped complaining about it yet. Maybe after a few months I will suck it up and accept it for what it is.

My exploration with food has continued and I've since tried pig throat, kidneys, cow stomach, and sheep blood. To be honest, the kidneys weren't bad; the stomach and throat had a chewy texture but virtually no taste; and the sheep blood..well.. I will never eat it again! I am a fan of Huo Guo (hot pot) and I eat it at least once a week. This is definitely a dish I will miss when I head back to North America.

Unfortunately, my physical activity levels have taken a serious beating since I arrived. I am walking everywhere and I take the stairs to my apartment on the 6th floor, but it just isn't enough. I recently purchased a bike and I hope to visit some great spots  soon.


I thought about registering in another half marathon, which would motivate me to start running again, but I am not completely sold on the idea. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on fitness goals? I am registered at the gym on campus and will make it a part of my routine to do some sort of PA4-5 times per week. This brings me to goal number two: make a workout schedule, and stick to it! I have found this to be difficult while abroad. Classes begin at 8am, and though I consider myself a happy morning person, I can't convince myself to wake up at 530am to workout. Maybe I will be more motivated to wake earlier when it gets warmer..HA! PA seems to fall to the wayside after factoring in studying, exploring and hanging out with friends. This is my pledge to better prioritize my life.

I am currently in the process of planning a trip to Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Hainan for the beginning of April. Emma Russell, I hope you're ready for a visit because I am coming your way :) I will attempt to keep you updated on my travels and experiences.

A big thank you to everyone who has been so supportive. I appreciate all your kind words of encouragement.  I had a bout of homesickness this week; contact with friends and family helps me push through those days. I look forward to receiving e-mails and updates from you as well, so feel free to send one my way when you get a chance.

-Kayla

"Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live"







1 comment:

  1. Kayla,

    Nice update. Here's my two cents...I agree with you that PA is very important and should be included in your routine. However, you are in China for really only a short time and I don't think you should beat yourself up over it too much. Do what you can and what makes you happy. But at the end of the day when you look back at this experience, you might wish you socialized more or lived it up more, but chances are, you wont wish you had put more time in at the gym. I think it's great that it is a priority (and it should be) but let other things take the lead in your life for a while too. Just a thought..
    I can't believe you tried all those interesting foods. Good for you girl! Braver than I!!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete